Simple, quick, and healthy don’t seem to go together in today’s fast food world. This creamy salsa shrimp makes it possible!
Creamy Salsa Shrimp
Salt, fat, acid, and heat are the four things that make a simple meal delicious. This quick shrimp dish combines those four elements for a savory and healthy lunch or dinner. The shrimp is a healthy protein, and buying pre-cooked frozen shrimp makes the process that much faster.
Salsa is flavor packed, and gives an acidic bite. Mayonnaise is a great fat, and you can opt for an avocado oil based option for heart health. Read more about the impact of hydrogenated oils here. The last touch is spinach, which adds lots of fiber, iron, and a pop of color to the dish. Served with a side of toast, this meal is savory and satisfying.
Creamy Salsa Shrimp Substitutions
If you have extra time on your hands, using fresh shrimp would up the deliciousness factor of this meal. Feel free to use a different seafood or protein. This recipe would be delicious with scallops or chicken. Any salsa you have on hand works great for this recipe.
A mango or peach salsa would be a delicious variation that would compliment the heat with some sweet. If you do not have spinach on hand, chopped asparagus or broccoli would be great additions. Finally, toast could be replaced with a bed of pasta or rice for added bulk. I used a whole grain bread that has veggies mixed in for added nutrition.
5 Minute & Ingredient Creamy Salsa Shrimp
Simple, quick, and healthy don't seem to go together in today's fast food world. This creamy salsa shrimp makes it possible!
- 6 Large or 8 Small Precooked Shrimp Thawed From Frozen *
- 1 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Salsa
- 1/4 Cup Frozen or Fresh Spinach
- 2 Slices of Bread
- Heat a small amount of oil or butter in a pan on medium low heat.
- Season your shrimp with salt and pepper to taste. Italian seasoning, garlic powder, or onion powder would also be delicious.
- Add your shrimp to the pan when hot. You can check if it is ready by sprinkling some water in the pan. If it sizzles, it's ready!
- Cook the shrimp for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until heated through, and slightly browned.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan.
- Stir the sauce until combined, and let warm in the pan.
- While the sauce is coming together, put your bread in the toaster.
- Add the shrimp back to the pan, and toss to coat in the sauce.
- Serve the creamy salsa shrimp with the toast on the side. Top with parmesan if desired. Enjoy!
* If you are using frozen shrimp, remember to thaw it beforehand! If using fresh shrimp, add another minute or two on each side until the shrimp are pink and opaque.
Check out my delicious Strawberry Einkorn Galette here to continue your easy and delicious dinner! Feel free to comment below any substitutions or recommendations you would add to this recipe.
Leave a Reply